Empires of the Mind

A motley assortment of anecdotes, thoughts, comments, observations, idle speculation, rantings, ravings, tirades, attempted wit & humour, pop culture references, expostulations, hypotheses, and whatever the hell else I feel like posting...

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Hehehehe..It's pronounced "nu-kyou-lar", dummy. The "s" is silent

Ah, to start my first topical post with a Family Guy reference... God bless you, Peter Griffin! But, anyway, I digress... I just want to go on record right off the bat as airing out my beef/pet peeve against anti-intellectualism. It's something that's always bothered me. Not to mention confounded me. Why do a lot of people attack, dimiss, or mistrust those who seem (or are) more intelligent than they? Are the well-educated and articulate a bunch of subversives or what? It's just not logical. I know there are plenty of theories and explanations (jealousy, narrow-mindedness, fear, inferiority complex, etc.), but still... I've always admired smart people, to a point (when they get arrogant, elitist and full of themselves, I start to lose respect). We should aspire to be more like such people, follow their example as much as possible - not ridicule or marginalize them. Now, I know I'm a reasonably intelligent guy, but I'm humble enough to realize that there are lots of people out there who are smarter than me. And I don't feel insecure or put off by it. That's why I value learning and knowledge so much, to strive to towards that goal of understanding and wisdom. It's why I started this blog. To quote Sir Francis Bacon, "Knowledge is power." (in more ways than one). Or Rabbi Hyman Krustofski (yay Simpsons!): "No one is poor except he [or she] who lacks knowledge." Unfortunately, it often seems that I'm increasingly in the minority these days. This anti-intellectual trend seems to be growing and becoming more and more pervasive. Yes, I'm talking to you, George Bush!! While I generally admire the USA and its citizenry, I sometime question the sanity and competence of the American electorate. Why do they continue to elect presidents solely based on his being "normal", "down to earth", "plain-spoken" etc. The leader is a reflection of the people and their will, I suppose (which is kinda scary at times). Still, if you ask me, I'd take an Adlai Stevenson, Eugene McCarthy or John Kerry (perhaps) over a Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan or George Bush any day! Heaven forbid smart people should be in charge, especially in charge of the world's most powerful country! Such a setup makes sense to me. Intelligence is nothing to hide or be ashamed of! But the teeming masses don't seem to agree... Anti-intellectualism permeates all levels of society nowadays. Today, terms like "egghead", "poindexter" and "liberal" are thrown around as insults with the same degree of venom and hatred as, say, "terrorist" or "communist". It's sad, really. It's like the Simpsons episode where Lisa thinks she's doomed by the family "stupidity" gene - that's so me at times. Now, granted, I'm the first to admit that I indulge in my own plebeian pleasures now and then. You may have noticed my affinity for Fox cartoon shows, for example. Not ashamed of that at all - I'm not one of those uber-intellectuals that disdain ALL forms of pop culture (yes, I know there's a certain irony in that statement...smartass! ;-) But I don't revel in it. I watch PBS, rent foreign films now and then, and reads books other than Harry Potter. I try to get a bit smarter every so often. Does that make me weird or unconventional? I hope so. I'd take it as a compliment.

Indeed, as I say in my profile, I'm an "unapologetic user of 'big words' and other esoteric jargon." I stand by that. I hope that standard will hold true in my blog as well. If you've got a problem with all 'dem fancy words 'n such, maybe this blog isn't the best place for you. If you don't understand a word or term I or someone else have used here at any point, look it up!! You might learn something! I have Dictionary.com down as one my links - avail yourself of the resource whenever necessary! I do all the time. Or, better yet, feel free to ask me! I'll happily define or explain concepts to those who want to know. There's no shame in not knowing something, as long as you try to correct and change that. Ignorance is a vice, not a virtue - don't perpetuate this regrettable trend any further, I implore you! We need to hold the line against the proverbial night, keep the barbarian hordes at bay. Rome shall not fall again...

Eggheads of the world, Unite!!! You have nothing to lose but your chains!!!

3 Comments:

  • At 12:13 a.m. , Blogger ~ said...

    Hello Blake:

    I will be quick as it is late and the hubby and I must be up earrrrrrly.

    Whole heartedly agree with you. I really do feel as if it is a fear of the unknown or a fear of a loss of control when it comes to fear of academia and eggheads. I fear coming close to sounding paternalistic in the above statement. It's a fine line to walk.

    As you know, during some of my struggles as a teen I had my IQ revealed to me (you know the tests you do in grade 3, then again in grade 7 where they call you into a room with a teacher and three people you don't know and get you to read and do mind games and time you the whole while) and I remember being shocked because I thought it would have been higher (I was 19 when I found out the results.) The person who revealed the results to me later informed me that my results were 'well abover average.'

    This is not bragging as along with my breasts my love of knowledge has been something I've tried to cover up ... nerds aren't the most popular in high school ... and frosh year for that matter.

    True Story: A friend of Noel's referred me to a website called 'collegehumor.com' And it is just as it sounds. On it, there's a section of photos of women who are topless, often times with their faces cropped out to avoid recognition with their school/sorority initials and the phrase "[hearts] collegehumor.com" This, in itself is a huge and sordid social statement whereby the girls in question are literally objectified. One photo in particular cried out to me. It was of a girl who had obvious stretch marks from pregnancy and had a terrible breast enhancement job with scars and one of the implants actaully had formed a pouch in the fold of her breast. She had her head cropped off and had the above phrase written across her chest. I made a statement about being mutilated and brought up Wolf and the Beauty Myth. The person actually said "I wouldn't get too academic about this." And that, my friend, is enough said.

     
  • At 10:59 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Leslie W.,
    This is a question for you and Noel: Do you find that the environment of graduate studies is more inviting to us nerds or just as stigmatizing? I am not sure what it is like in NPSIA, but I still find some people still mock nerds even at this level. I plan on enrolling in my PhD in 2006 (provided I get accepted) and I still find that some of my fellow English academics mock some of us for our dedication to academia. For instance, more than once I had the pleasure of sitting in on a conversation in which the guys in my program discussed who was the cutest female in the program. Never once did brain power come into it, but this may just be a symptom of my program and not a general occurrence at the graduate level. That being said, I have had some great conversations with fellow English students in which we talk about deep things like books, etc, but I find that these occur with the older students who are already in committed relationships. Please share your thoughts and experiences.

    The Other Leslie

     
  • At 3:31 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This PC is part of workgroup, join the network since 2 years ago and never had any problem. [url=http://www.fillerobe.com]canada goose outlet[/url] That was an advertising executive point of view. [url=http://www.hollistercostores.co.uk]hollister sale[/url] Vwlbovmtw
    [url=http://www.jacketstorontoonsale.com]canada goose authorized dealers[/url] Tcqgbcvuk [url=http://www.louboutinstoreuk.co.uk]christian louboutin shoes[/url] iuvmlxmhb [url=http://www.cheapcanadagooseparkas.ca]canada goose jackets[/url]

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home