Empires of the Mind

A motley assortment of anecdotes, thoughts, comments, observations, idle speculation, rantings, ravings, tirades, attempted wit & humour, pop culture references, expostulations, hypotheses, and whatever the hell else I feel like posting...

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Did you hear that, Meg? Guys can marry other guys now.

Given the fact that I've posted previously on the subject, I felt I just had to say something with regards to last week's vote in the House of Commons concerning same-sex marriage (SSM). In a nutshell, the ruling Conservative Party of Canada - which currently forms a minority government - introduced a motion in Parliament that would re-open the SSM debate. Their overarching goal, as you can imagine, was to reverse or rescind the legalization of SSM passed in the summer of last year, and restore the traditional definition of marriage (i.e. between a man and a woman).

Fortunately, the motion was defeated in the House last Thursday. By a pretty decent margin, too.

I'll refer you to the CBC article for more information, if you want...

All I have to say is right on! I'm glad and relieved that SSM as enshrined in law has been upheld. As you might tell, I'm a supporter of it - always have been and always will be!

Now let's just hope that the Tories (or anyone else, for that matter) will truly learn their lesson and let the proverbial sleeping dogs lie...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home