Empires of the Mind

A motley assortment of anecdotes, thoughts, comments, observations, idle speculation, rantings, ravings, tirades, attempted wit & humour, pop culture references, expostulations, hypotheses, and whatever the hell else I feel like posting...

Monday, November 06, 2006

Would you like to take a survey? - Part 17

Back in Windsor. The drive down was okay - about 4 hours. I attempted to sleep most of the way, the operative word being attempted. I can never truly have a restful sleep in a moving vehicle! Oh well... Needless to say, once I got into my hotel room here, I just crashed for a nice, long nap ;-)

We're staying at the same hotel as last time - the Travelodge Windsor Ambassador Bridge. This time, though, most of us have our rooms on the second floor - last time all of us were on the first floor. Meh. Doesn't make much of a difference to me either way! Though it was a bit of a drag (pardon the pun!) to haul my luggage up the stairs, since there's no elevator here... :-(

Once again, our survey site is the Ambassador Bridge. From what I've heard, my team is on the northbound side (heading into the U.S. from Canada) as before. I'm expecting we'll get done more or less the same number of surveys on average that we did here two weeks ago. Traffic levels appear to be the same (i.e. high!) and I believe we'll have the same bridge authority personnel directing trucks in for us. Should be good, then! Nice and consistent, I hope - I like consistency :-)

And, finally, an announcement/general update to make. Transport Canada is extending the contract by another week. They need additional surveys done at two different sites: the border crossing at Prescott here in Ontario, and a weigh/inspection station at Les Cèdres, Quebec. Both are about an hour or so away from Ottawa (heck of a lot closer to home than Windsor!). This time, though, they asked for volunteers instead of forcing everyone to go. Since it's an extra week's pay, of course I said yes! From what I've heard so far, it looks like I'm going to Les Cèdres. Since they're reshuffling the teams at both sites due to availability and productivity factors, I'll be working with different people once there. No problem, since I already know and get along with everybody anyway! Luckily, I'll be working the same shift (4 p.m. to midnight) again - won't have to adjust to a day or a graveyard schedule :-) Should be fun, though! Not to mention productive, since it's a weigh station - we always get more surveys done there than at any other type of facility. J'aurai aussi un autre opportunité à pratiquer mon français...

Peace out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home