Empires of the Mind

A motley assortment of anecdotes, thoughts, comments, observations, idle speculation, rantings, ravings, tirades, attempted wit & humour, pop culture references, expostulations, hypotheses, and whatever the hell else I feel like posting...

Monday, August 08, 2005

Corporate psychosis

K, I watched the documentary "The Corporation" on DVD this past Saturday. Freakin' awesome!!! Very impressed. I would very, very highly recommend this flick to all my readers, indeed to all concerned citizens of the world! Responsible people almost have a duty to watch this film. It shocked, terrified and fascinated me - all at the same time. Scared the hell of out me, really (on a philosophical level) - but I needed to see it and I'm glad I did. It's one hell of a wake-up call for me... I've always been a little nervous about the corporation as an institution, as well as the implications of modern industrial capitalism. This film showed me how dreadfully justified my fears (and the fears of many others) were. Stoked my leftist tendencies up to a fine, simmering boil... Hell, at times it made me miss the old Soviet Union and want to have it back! The film's central premise of psychoanalyzing the corporation as a "person" was positively brilliant, since, as the film establishes, corporations are considered to be equivalent to "persons" under current U.S. law (and possibly Canadian law, too...). As a result, they enjoy and exercise the same rights & priviledges as individual citizens. Frightening implications, eh? Using this psychological template, the film clearly establishes that corporations are clinically insane - psychopaths according to every conventional definition. Inherently psychopathic institutions whose unchecked, unaccountable power is growing every single day, gradually eroding our fundamental human freedoms as well as devastating our planet...? Holy crap... This kind of shit is disturbingly Orwellian. Don't take my word for it, though - go rent the movie. Please! I strongly encourage it!