Empires of the Mind

A motley assortment of anecdotes, thoughts, comments, observations, idle speculation, rantings, ravings, tirades, attempted wit & humour, pop culture references, expostulations, hypotheses, and whatever the hell else I feel like posting...

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Would you like to take a survey? - Part 4

Well, we're in St-Bernard-de-Lacolle (henceforth to be referred to simply as Lacolle) this week and next. It's a border crossing - on the other side is Champlain, New York (not Vermont, as I originally thought). The hotel we're staying in - the Auberge Premier - is quite lovely. Great architecture and interior decorating. Unfortunately, the customer service here sucks: slow, inconvenient hours etc. Oh well...nichevo (a Russian expression loosely translated as "it can't be helped"). Convenient in other ways, though - the survey site is right down the street from the hotel, so I can walk to work! Surveys are still going well - my team and I have got a solid routine going. Here's a breakdown of some notable events of the past week:

Wednesday, August 9

Leopold (one of my team members) had an exam back in Ottawa, so we wound up driving into Montreal to drop him off at the bus station. I'd never driven in Montreal before - needless to say, it was a bit nerve-wracking! Certainly had to learn quickly to be a little more assertive :-)

However, within half an hour of navigating the city streets, its character must have rubbed off on me. While driving downtown up University Street, a cab suddenly cut me off. Without thinking or even a moment's hesitation, I swore loudly in French: "Maudit cochon!" (translation: f***ing pig!). After that, I'm starting to think I've been in Quebec too long!... ;-)

Calisse tabarnac 'osti!

Friday, August 11

We (my team and I) drove Bob (one of the Transport Canada project managers) into Montreal so he could catch the train at the Dorval station. Afterwards, we stayed in town for a bit to do some sightseeing, shopping and lunch. We ate at this great Indian buffet - the Maharaja - on Rene-Levesque Boulevard. Delicious food! Though my colon paid for it later... :-)

Also, I found it interesting to note that, while walking up St. Catherine Street, I counted at least 7 strip clubs along a 2-3 block stretch! I guess that's "culture" for ya... ;-)

On the plus side, I'm getting more comfortable driving in the city. No bouts of Quebecois cursing this time!

Anyway, that's it for now! Until the next update....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home