Empires of the Mind

A motley assortment of anecdotes, thoughts, comments, observations, idle speculation, rantings, ravings, tirades, attempted wit & humour, pop culture references, expostulations, hypotheses, and whatever the hell else I feel like posting...

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Would you like to take a survey? - Part 5

Still in Lacolle. Sitting outside by the hotel pool geting some sun. Working tonight (4:00 p.m. to midnight - my normal shift), then we get a day off tomorrow. Woo-hoo!! Probably just gonna relax, take it easy - my usual idea of fun :-) Monday is a travel day. Our next site is Pointe-du-Lac - a provincial truck inspection station, I believe. It's northeast of here, about an hour and a half's drive. Roughly midway between Montreal and Quebec City, I think. Has a permanent weigh scale, which is great. Less to setup and more traffic volume=better flow=more surveys done. From what I've been told, we'll be staying at the Delta Inn in the nearby city of Trois-Rivieres. Hopefully the customer service there will be better than it is here...

Surveys going reasonably well. Very quiet, though. Traffic volume is surprisingly low - not that many trucks passing through. A few more refusals on average this week - mostly because they're in a hurry or have already done the survey elsewhere. Oh well....not a big deal. We get done as many surveys as we can. Some variables I simply have no control over.

One negative for me on site is my feet. For one, I tend to get blisters fairly easily, even with the proper foot care and support. My solution has been to stock up on and apply daily softskin band-aids over the affected areas - works well, I find. Unfortunately, a few days ago while in the shower my foot slipped and jammed into the jagged edge of the upraised tub stopper plug. Tore a fair-sized bit of skin from my left little toe. Hurt like a [insert expletive here]! Even properly bandaged, it's the worst place to have a cut while standing and walking frequently in steel-toed shoes for 8 hours straight. Nevertheless, healing up nicely and becoming less uncomfortable every day.

Transmission complete. Have a nice day! ;-)

1 Comments:

  • At 12:58 p.m. , Blogger Eric Rosenhek said...

    Oh man, I can totally relate to that. I've had this ingrown toe-nail since Jan. 2004. I've already had three operations on it.

    Wearing shoes all day is not pretty, especially when you have something like that.

    Good to hear its healing. I'm enjoying the entries.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home