Empires of the Mind

A motley assortment of anecdotes, thoughts, comments, observations, idle speculation, rantings, ravings, tirades, attempted wit & humour, pop culture references, expostulations, hypotheses, and whatever the hell else I feel like posting...

Monday, October 02, 2006

Would you like to take a survey? - Part 12

Here I am in Sarnia. Well, if you want to get specific, I'm actually in Point Edward right now. It's a separate village adjacent to the city of Sarnia. Made getting directions to the hotel on MapQuest a bit tricky...good thing I actually stopped for a moment and actually looked at a map! But I quibble ;-)

The trip here went reasonably well. We actually left more or less on time, which was a pleasant surprise for me. As I expected, the drive was rather long and boring; scenery was nice enough, but pretty flat and non-descript. Passed through cities & towns like Hamilton, Brantford, Woodstock, Ingersoll, Dorchester and London. I originally estimated the trip from Fort Erie to Sarnia would take about three and a half hours. In fact, it wound up being closer to four and a half! Two reasons: 1) I missed the exit to Highway 403 West from the QEW. I was approaching Oakville before I realized my mistake. So, I had to double-back for about 15-20 minutes until I found the right turn-off...and 2) we got stuck in a traffic jam for about 40 minutes just past Hamilton - lane reductions and resulting bottleneck due to construction :-( However, the point is we did finally make it!

Sarnia (and/or Point Edward) is a pretty decent town. Has all the amenities of a big city (good restaurants and bars, shopping malls, etc.) Nice enough in terms of geography - it has some lovely harbour front views and scenes of Lake Huron and the St. Clair River. A bit on the dull side, though - not much of a nightlife. That doesn't really matter to me, though; I've never been much of a nightlife kind of guy. I'm pretty easy to please; I can find ways to entertain myself, even in the middle of nowhere (which Sarnia certainly is not) :-)

Our hotel - the Sarnia/Point Edward Comfort Inn - is decent. A bit of a let-down after staying in a Holiday Inn, but still comfortable. My room is quite nice: tasteful decor, soft bed, couch, fridge, well-lit work desk, cable TV, clean bathroom. The hotel also has the usual proverbial bells & whistles: fitness room, business centre with Internet access, and free Continental breakfast. No pool, though - oh well! In a good location, too. Right off the highway, quite close to our survey site. Overall, not too shabby!

Some unfortunate developments with respect to the work front, though. Firstly, there were some staffing changes, so to speak. One surveyor was fired very suddenly. Rather shocking, actually - there was absolutely no prior warning. She just got a phone call the night before we left Fort Erie. Apparently, TC is making the arrangements to send her back to Ottawa. Regardless of the justification behind her termination, I have to say I really disapprove of the way in which it was done. Seems almost cowardly. She should have been given at least a verbal warning and a chance to improve her performance before being fired so abruptly. It just doesn't seem fair. Nevertheless, it goes to show how truly tenuous our positions really are as agency and contract employees in this project. We have none of the legal rights and protections enjoyed by permanent employees in this regard; our fates are completely in the hands of our employer, subject to their every whim and fancy. We're not really people to them - just numbers, a means to an end. The welfare of the workers is insignificant compared to the so-called "bottom line", the almighty profit margin. To quote one of my co-workers, we're basically pond scum - easily replaceable and completely expendable. I've worked agency jobs before, and, regrettably, I see that this mindset is becoming more and more commonplace among upper management. It's sad, really...

Also, one of the graveyard shift crew chiefs has been demoted. All I have to say is oh well! Though he was well-intentioned, truthfully, I noticed this individual make several crucial mistakes and bad judgement calls when dealing with his team and working on site in general. Not only that, but he would often avoid taking responsibility for his actions & decisions once negative consequences came to light. I found him to be rather authoritarian and inflexible at times; often he didn't really listen to concerns raised by his team members and take the appropriate steps to address them. In my book, that makes for a bad leader. As I've said before, that's part of the reason I decided to "resign" (for lack of a better term) as crew chief. I myself noticed the mistakes I kept making, that I was faltering in my duties as a crew chief. Fortunately, I had the good sense to realize how untenable the situation had become and thus remove myself from it before it worsened even more. But some people just aren't as humble and wise as me, I guess ;-) Karma can be a real bitch sometimes...

Anyway, back to the usual stuff. Our survey site is the Blue Water Bridge border crossing, which connects Sarnia to Port Huron, Michigan. Again, my team is covering the Canada-to-US side (the westbound lanes, in this case). The site is decent enough - we're right next to the duty-free shop, where we can get sandwiches and hot beverages if we want. Our survey area is rather constricted, though: two narrow survey lanes located right off the highway on-ramp to the bridge. The only thing that separates us from the busy traffic is a small concrete partition. Can't help but feeling a bit exposed at times. Oh well...

Like at the Thousand Islands Bridge, this time the trucks are flagged in for us by an OPP officer. Again, they are very nice and most helpful. Efficient, too. They're right on the ball when it comes to waving the trucks in once we give the signal. This is great because this bridge has excellent flow; traffic volume is consistently high. We don't wait long, if at all, to survey the next truck! Consequently, our numbers are very good. We're averaging in the high 50 to 60+ range. I suppose this isn't surprising, given the fact that the BWB is one of the busiest border crossings in all of Ontario. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, only the Ambassador Bridge - connecting Windsor, ON and Detroit, MI - sees more traffic on a daily basis (it's the busiest commercial border crossing in all of North America!)...

Speaking of which, we were supposed to be in Windsor next week to survey the AB, but unfortunately that leg of the project has been cancelled. Since the bridge is privately-owned, TC needed their explicit permission for us to conduct our surveys there. However, they refused on the grounds that our surveys would only create additional traffic delays (they're pretty long on average already!), and that there was not enough free space on or near the bridge for us to set up our site. A logical excuse, but a setback nonetheless. We've lost an opportunity to gather a great deal of data for this project. However, as a result of this development, TC is keeping us in Sarnia for an additional week. Makes sense, I think. If you can't get the proverbial gold medal, might as well go for two silvers! :-)

Finally, let me wish my fellow Canadians a very happy Thanksgiving! We get 3 days off for the long weekend. Some people in our group decided to rent cars and drive home to Ottawa for the break. Not me, though. Firstly, I'd lose 2 of the 3 days travelling between Sarnia and Ottawa (it's a good 8-hour drive!); the one, true day off I'd have would feel rushed, I think. Wouldn't enjoy it as much. Also, at the risk of sounding like an insensitive miser, I am trying to save money while we're out here. I'd rather not spend a few hundred dollars worth of rental fees, insurance and ever-expensive gas if I don't absolutely have to...

I've already told my family about my absence. They somewhat expected it, given the nature of this job. While I will be missed, they understand my reasons for not being there. This is my first ever Thanksgiving away from home! Doesn't feel as strange as I thought it might, though... Besides, the rest of the people in our group who are also staying at the hotel in Sarnia for the holiday are organizing a potluck dinner. A small affair, I think; not sure if there'll even be turkey! That's fine, though. Thanksgiving should be about the company as much as the food, in my opinion :-)

Anyway, that's it for now!

Pax vobiscum

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home