Empires of the Mind

A motley assortment of anecdotes, thoughts, comments, observations, idle speculation, rantings, ravings, tirades, attempted wit & humour, pop culture references, expostulations, hypotheses, and whatever the hell else I feel like posting...

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

An open (but not necessarily "free") question...

Hello all! Sorry I've been remiss in my entries - ah, the distractions of life. I'll do my best to update this blog more often in the future, but, as always, I can make no promises or guarantees in that regard. I post when I post, simple as that. Sometimes I can't get any good inspiration even if it came up and kicked my teeth in. Hopefully, my reader(s) have been able to control their cravings for my little musings... :-)

Anyway, down to today's topic. I'll keep it short - I promise! ;-) Recently in the news, you may have heard that the main NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) investigative/judicial body issued a ruling concerning the controversial Canada-U.S. softwood lumber dispute. I won't bore you with the backstory explaining this issue - I'm sure there's plenty on the Web available to any interested party wanting to fill in the gaps. Suffice it to say that the Americans have been complaining for years that we unfairly subsidize our softwood lumber exports, and they've imposed punitive duties and tariffs accordingly. Anyway, the ruling came down in favour of the Canadian government: the panel concluded that, upon review, Canadian softwood lumber is not unfairly subsidized and that Washington is not justified in its imposition of the aforementioned punitive tariffs, taxes, levies, etc. They recommended that these monies be refunded to Ottawa. This decision reinforces a similar ruling in Canada's favour by the World Trade Organization (WTO) a few years ago. However, the Bush administration has rejected both rulings and continues to demand further negotiations; the tariffs remain in place for the time being. So, my question is this:

With such clear and unequivocal rulings from the two benchmark free trade-promoting organizations (which Bush and the U.S. government have traditionally championed and supported enthusiastically), to what extent (if any) is the USA truly committed to the principle of free trade?

I mean, c'mon - many Republicans and Democrats alike have always been loudly in favour of free trade. Most previous administrations in the White House have generally supported the concept. Were things like the proposed Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) and the newly-created Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA) just a bunch of pink smoke Dubya was blowing up our asses (pardon the expression)? Much money and effort was spent on these, as well as on NAFTA and the WTO - pretty expensive smoke... Is their adherence to the idea legit & sincere, or is it simply a political expedient (i.e. they're for it only as long as it benefits them directly and exclusively)?

Corollary: Is the concept of free trade even viable?

Your thoughts, comments, observations, remarks, rantings, ravings, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

12 Comments:

  • At 4:40 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My, you are wordy. Being concise is a quality.

    Cool little blog, will keep an eye on it.

    PS: Your intellect surpassed most humans. Be proud!

     
  • At 5:59 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes, wordy is a good description. Communication with a living and breathing person is more fulfilling and for some... more difficult. Don't let it go to your head about the intellect.

     
  • At 6:35 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Musicals on Television Presented Sept. 22-25 at Museum of Television & Radio
    A sampling of musicals from the New York branch of the Museum of Television & Radio's permanent collection will be available for viewing Sept.
    My Adult Acne site, covers Adult Acne related stuff.

     
  • At 7:32 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Blake,

    Stumbled onto your blog by accident and I have been reading some of your entries as well as the comments. You do have a way with words, and I hope that you are using your journalistic talent in a challenging career. Perhaps the words of Gilbert Highet will sum up what I am trying to say: "There is a good deal of wasted talent in the world, and some of the waste comes from sheer ignorance. People simply do not know how to apply their energies."

    I get the impression that you are working in a warehouse. Please, use your God given talent and put your creativity to good use.

    - M.M.

     
  • At 10:41 p.m. , Blogger Blake said...

    Thank you all! I do realize that I can be rather verbose. Just don't want to risk sacrificing quality, that's all. Conciseness is something I continue to work on nonetheless :-)

    M.M. - I appreciate your compliment. I do hope I'll be able to use my talents to better and more frequent effect once I embark on a proper career. I don't intend to work in a warehouse forever, after all! Ironically enough, as my profile indicates, my academic training was as a historian/political scientist, not a journalist per se. Nevertheless, I've always paid attention to current events. I started this blog as a way to express myself, to channel that creativity, to maintain and hone my writing & analytical skills. Seems like a positive outlet. It'll have to suffice until I find a job that'll pay me to do this!

     
  • At 11:14 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ANON2: I still think the intellect is way up there. It's not in his head, it's either in his heart, or really good bathroom reading.

    I agree with M.M. The Man should be way better than a S/R clerk...Maybe a little self-confidence booster is what's needed....this blog may do it.! It's all yours baby!

     
  • At 12:56 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

    Thanks :-) If nothing else, I could handle being "good bathroom reading"...

    As for my "intellect", might I suggest that Anon #2 re-read my second blog entry ("It's pronounced nu-kyou-lar, dummy..."), the one about anti-intellectualism. Being smart is nothing to be ashamed of, NOT something I feel I should hide or minimize; too many closet intellectuals I know tend to do that. I make no apologies for that. Luckily, I have friends and family that keep me properly grounded, so my head doesn't get too far up in the clouds ;-)

    And as for my career path, don't worry - I don't plan on being a warehouse clerk forever. Got a good prospect going currently (in the application/review stage) in the Intelligence field - we'll see if it pans out. Meanwhile, my present job may be boring, but's it's largely stress-free, casual, and it pays the bills. Besides, I can't expect to be King of the Anthill right off the bat - gotta slowly but surely climb up the proverbial chain of command. Humility is a virtue, after all...

     
  • At 5:53 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    From what I can see, I don't think that Anon #2 was questioning Blake's intelligence. I believe that he/she was simply reminding him not to let compliment of
    Anon #1 swell his head.

    As Blake points out, he is very lucky to have a support group that keeps him grounded, so head-swelling should not be a problem. Never be ashamed of your intelligence, Blake. Be proud, BUT, be humble too.

    Who would have thought that your entry on free trade would have lead to this?!

     
  • At 7:16 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh yeah, free trade, I'll get back to you on that.

    Anon 1

     
  • At 7:27 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree with the last post..."Who'd have thunk?" Humility and modesty are wonderful tools. Remember what they say...there is always someone prettier, taller, smarter etc. just around the corner.

     
  • At 12:00 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

    Indeed. All points taken. From free trade to advice column... An interesting digression, to be sure. It's all good, though. All topics and subjects are welcome. And I'll do my best to balance modesty with intelligence.

     
  • At 12:51 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    We can't forget that the USA is in a severe trade defecit. As per Lou Dobbs (CNN), more and more US manufacturing jobs are headed to Asia, China in particular.

    This explains the Administration's decisions....however, is it really a enforceable FTA if the US can simply reject 2 rulings? It's a polling nightmare.

    It never was a free trade agreement, it was always a "smoke screen". They should get rid of the Judge & jury, put the tariff's back in place and use the administrative tax dollars spent defending this to subsidize more Canadian Exports!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home