Empires of the Mind

A motley assortment of anecdotes, thoughts, comments, observations, idle speculation, rantings, ravings, tirades, attempted wit & humour, pop culture references, expostulations, hypotheses, and whatever the hell else I feel like posting...

Monday, August 22, 2005

We put the "FUN" in fundamentalist dogma

I was reading an article in the Ottawa Citizen several weeks ago and I saw an interesting quote - well, interesting for me, anyhow - from an Ottawa imam (a Muslim cleric, for those who didn't know that):

"I want to practice the religion the same way the Prophet did."

So that got me pondering about the issue of fundamentalism. Figured I'd rant and rave about it on my blog :-) I have to say that, in principle, I'm completely opposed to fundamentalism in any form (be it religious or secular). Runs against my sense of open-mindedness and inclusivity. Also runs counter to my belief in pluralism - that all beliefs and value systems are equally valid or true, and that they can co-exist in peace and harmony. Fundamentalism is inherently exclusionary and divisive - it creates barriers instead of removing them. It stifles open dialogue and discussion instead of promoting it. It strikes me as a simplistic, facile and archaic way of looking at the world - a medieval remnant in the modern world. It refuses to acknowledge or accept the idea of evolutionary progress, a principle which I find valuable and necessary. It's an institution based upon the quality of being judgemental - hardly a positive trait, in my opinion. What's most dangerous about fundamentalism, though, is its propensity for creating bigotry, hatred and, ultimately, violence and bloodshed. Things like terrorism, the Crusades, The Spanish Inquisition, ethnic cleansing, and others certainly didn't arise from the notion of tolerance, now did they?

In the imam's case, I don't object to his desire to follow his faith as he chooses. My problem is that, by definition, he can't practice the religion as the Prophet did. Times have changed since the days of Muhammad; society is drastically different. Our collective world-view has changed. We don't live in the same "world" as Muhammad or Jesus or Moses anymore; how can we honestly practice the faith as they did, word for word? The "common denominators", if you will, are completely different. Technology (e.g. the printing press, the radio, the television, the Internet) has resulted in ever-increasing contact between those believe differently. This should periodically force us to re-evaluate our thinking and our doctrines accordingly. Our bubbles have been burst; true isolation becomes increasingly difficult and unsustainable. The Bible, the Qu'ran, the Talmud and other holy books were written for a specific time and place. Societal norms and values changed over time, though. Valuable though these texts are metaphorically and allegorically, we have to keep them in proper context and perspective. Thus, a literal reading and interpretation of their verses is absurd. Life isn't the same as it was two thousand years ago! Re-interpretation is crucial. Indeed, my fundamental point (pardon the pun!) is that fundamentalists ignore or don't recognize the need for change, that change is a constant in human history. Change is natural and inevitable; it should be embraced (to an extent), not feared. Fundamentalists, however, always strive to "turn back the clock". The problem, though, is that the clock can't be turned back. History can't be unmade or undone, technology can't be uninvented. As difficult as it can be sometimes, change is necessary for our survival. We ignore this fact at our own peril...

That being said, a paradox ironically presents itself. As my profile states, I consider myself to be a relativist in general terms. In keeping with that (as well as with my sense of pluralism), I must therefore accept that fundamentalist belief systems are equally valid with respect to my own, more liberalized perspective - that fundamentalism has an intrinsic right to exist alongside others. I may personally think it's wrong and misguided, but I have to acknowledge its overall legitimacy in the social framework and tolerate it accordingly. If I start thinking that fundamentalists are inferior and must be excluded, then I risk becoming the very thing I abhor! Basically, for me it comes down to that famous quote by some philosopher (I keep thinking Voltaire, but I know it's not him...): "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

To do otherwise would be a complete betrayal of my ideals and principles. Contradictory, perhaps, but hey...that's life these days, my friends!

10 Comments:

  • At 12:18 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So you believe in pluralism - that all beliefs and value systems are equally valid or true ... my dear misinformed (or is that uninformed friend)that is illogical! They all can't be equal. Some believe in a "personal" God - others believe in an "impersonal" God. They can't both be correct. I'd encourage you to read up on the beliefs of the major world religions before jumping to the conclusion that they are all equally valid - as the liberal theologians would like you to believe. To quote the current Pontiff who I believe has hit the nail on the head:

    "Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the church, is often labeled today as a fundamentalism. ... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and 'swept along by every wind of teaching,' looks like the only attitude acceptable to today's standards."

    S.V.

     
  • At 6:21 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think it's best if everyone gets along with everyone and hangs out with everyone because surely we can all accept each other's differences. It doesn't make sense for poeple to have individual beliefs that have been passed down for thousands of years. Instead we should stand for nothing and let our principles and values be shaped by the popular opinion of the day. I think there is a lot of merit to that attitude. There is no sense in disagreeing with anyone or fighting for what you believe in because there is no cause worth fighting for. We are better off being passive all of the time, that way no one's hair/panties get roughled/twisted.

    All fundamentalists are simply hard-headed cavemen that refuse to accept new religious ideas that have been dreamed up over the last 50 years.

    It's fun to post blogs that subtley (yet noticably) insult anyone that has firm spiritual beliefs.

    Some would say that when you find something that's satisfying, you chew on it. Others say that's close-minded.

    all the best,
    JTT

     
  • At 9:56 p.m. , Blogger Blake said...

    Oh no! Not the dreaded L word! Believe it or not, I take the term "liberal" not as an insult but as a compliment. For the record, I'm proud of my liberalism. I'll say one thing about you, though, S.V. - you don't mince words! It's not every day that someone calls me uninformed, or even misinformed.

    Let me clarify my position further. You are right in that I do agree that all belief systems cannot ABSOLUTELY true all at once (i.e. the proverbial "one true faith") - that would indeed be illogical and untenable. However, I would assert that all faiths are true UNTO THEMSELVES. Each doctrine and belief system/structure necessarily provides an internal self-justification, legitimizing its own existence. Each have their own reasons and logic (circular or not) for being "true". Scriptures and other holy texts are self-fulfilling prophecies, if you will; they're designed to flesh out (pardon the pun) the commonly-accepted rules in writing and validate the believers themselves.

    My point is that this process makes them all equally valid as a result. The myriad faithful believe their "models" are inherently right, that they've got it all figured out. It's dangerous when one religious group start to judge and condemn (and ultimately persecute) another group for coming to different conclusions. Why should I believe you over him? Because you say so? That's childish and immature reasoning. History clearly shows us that fundamentalist ideologies (i.e. "I'm right and you're wrong, therefore you are a deviant and must be destroyed") almost always tend toward negative views of their spiritual "peers" and thus creating division, disharmony, and strife.

    To me, all religions could just as easily be all wrong as they could be all right. As a pluralist, I acknowledge the fact that faiths other than my own assert their own "rightness" and thus are just as legitimate as my own. Unlike many fundamentalists, I don't automatically view my beliefs as inherently superior, and thus theirs as inferior. The Good Book itself says "Judge not, lest ye be judged" (as my profile says, I still consider myself a nominal Christian...). To me, all faiths are therefore "equal"; they're just as "right" as I think I mine is. Pluralists and relativists like me recognize the need for diversity and the strength we draw from it; fundamentalists harken back to the days of confrontational tribalism. If that makes me a wooly-headed liberal heathen or heretic who'll burn in Hell, then so be it! I hope Hitler saves me a good seat! :-)

    I have read up on all the major world religions, as a matter of fact. As a result, I've come to realize that all religions essentially grapple with the same metaphor: explaining the unexplainable. They all equally assert the same principle - that there's a higher power in the universe beyond ourselves. It's just a matter of how each faith has interpreted that common metaphor. It's all about interpretation - that's the key. People who interpret it differently than I do aren't necessarily "wrong"; they're just different. It doesn't make me better than them (which seems to be the underlying assumption of a fundamentalist). All are different, all are the same... Remember:

    "There are many paths up the Mountain, but the view of the moon from the top is the same."
    - ancient Japanese proverb

     
  • At 10:03 p.m. , Blogger ~ said...

    G'day Blake and Anonymous folks of the blogosphere.

    It's great to hear from people from all sides of the political spectrum, so often people only read what supports what they already believe. I think that's probably the worst any person could do to their mind. We welcome you into the discourse.

    I just wanted to make note of something you might have taken askew from Blake's original post. Rather, two things. I think that first you might have taken the tone of Blake's post as somewhat paternalistic. While, I can see how it would come off that way, knowing Blake in "reality" the tone of his posts are simply the way he conducts himself day-to-day. Nothing insinuating or paternalistic there.

    Secondly, I think that you may have mistaken the context in which he used the word "relativist." I don't believe he meant it in an undergraduate sense (everybody has their own beliefs, they're all right, it's all relative, whatever, end of argument) what I think he meant it as was a statement more towards the line of good government. Everyone has their own personal beliefs and has the right to hold those beliefs so long as they don't infringe upon the constitutional and legal rights of anyone else.

    I would agree with Blake that fundamentalism is a terribly dangerous "ism" and should be avoided in all its forms. It takes the beliefs of the few and imposes them on the freedom of the many. Saying that fundamentalism is not such a bad thing or is a tough pill that needs to be swallowed is like saying the same of fascism.

    Myself, I prefer and equal opportunity oppressive government.

    Leslie

     
  • At 10:26 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I see some fightin goin on!. I'll get the POPCORN.

    This is way too deep for me :o) and I don't type that well.

    I'll just watch.

     
  • At 10:37 p.m. , Blogger Blake said...

    Good points, Leslie. Though I did kinda mean relativist in the undergraduate sense too... *embarrassed grin* But you're still in the ball park with what I'm trying to say; you just added another dimension to it, which is good for discourse.

    Anyway, enough debate for tonight. I'm going to bed!...

     
  • At 1:49 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Anon #2 is yanking your chain. Strictly tongue in cheek. Can you see that?

     
  • At 9:52 p.m. , Blogger Blake said...

    Yes, I know Anon #2 is yanking my chain. I applaud his wit.

    For the record, I'm not attacking people with firm religious beliefs. Whatever works for them, hey that's great! Good on ya! My problem is with those people who view their faith(s) as exclusive and inherently superior. I'm a Christian myself, but I don't think my religion is "better" than Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shinto, Animism, or any other faith. We shouldn't be so judgemental, which fundamentalist religious practitioners (again, I repeat, not ALL practioners) inevitably resort to. I have absolutely no problem with religion (any religion). My beef is with people who take it to extremes (i.e. condemning and/or attacking others for not believing the same, killing in the name of God, etc.) I don't like zealots and ideologues who are rigid, inflexible, unyielding and narrow-minded in their faith, especially when they externalize this dogmatism; the consequences of their fanaticism have led to far too much pain and suffering in our collective history. That's my point - respect others. Disagreement is actually a good thing! It promotes discussion and, hopefully, mutual understanding.

    Again, to summarize, religion = good, intolerance = bad.

    Faith is a wonderful thing, but you shouldn't let it blind you...

     
  • At 10:15 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Blake,

    As one of your loyal bloggies... Hurry up and post! (Meant in the nicest possible way, of course.) You write some good stuff. :)

     
  • At 9:53 p.m. , Blogger Blake said...

    I will, I promise! Sorry about the lag. I'm brewing up my next big, insightful tome - I'm aiming to have it up & posted sometime this weekend. Bear with me! While I may not post every day (or even every week), I'm still here! Hooray for my dear, devoted, loyal bloggies! Many thanks.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home